Sep 25, 2014

SORRY, BETTY

Do you remember our friend, Betty, who wrote to me every day to tell me how much she hated every single thing about me and my stupid little life?

Well, brace yourself, Betty.  Because all I have for you today is drivel.  No pictures of stitching.  No pictures of the lovely autumnal decorations that Aunt Chrissy has strewn about my house.  No funny photos of Little Lord Fauntleroy doing whatever it is that makes Little Lord Fauntleroy such an...interesting...companion to one lonely old spinster.

Yes, it's true.  I have been eating my fair share of bruschetta and pudding these last few days, but at least I have a good excuse for it.  I've re-watched Julie and Julia about a dozen times, and one of the opening cooking scenes is Julie making bruschetta for her husband.  You know the one I'm talking about....she fries the thick-cut bread in olive oil and then mixes up some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and basil.

What can I say?  That sounded pretty good to me, so I did what any normal person would do.  I went to the grocery store, bought about eight dozen loaves of fancypants bread, a truckload of heirloom tomatoes, a small bush of basil, and went to town.  Last night I added crumbled feta just because I could.  Here's the way I perfected Bruschetta a 'la Spinster:

Thickly sliced crusty bread (mine was sliced to precisely 1 1/2 inches)
Good olive oil
Heirloom tomatoes
Fresh Basil
Balsamic vinegar
Feta or Blue Cheese crumbles
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic cloves (you need a few really big ones peeled to rub on the bread)

Pre-heat a toaster oven to broil.  Brush bread with olive oil, add a little salt and pepper, and put it in to toast while you're dicing and mixing the topping.  Chop the tomatoes and basil, drizzle on a little balsamic and olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Add cheese, if you're so inclined.  Flip the bread over to get the other side golden brown, and when it is, take it out and rub it vigorously with the garlic clove.  Top with the tomato mixture, pour yourself a big glass of red wine (or, in my case Raspberry Ice Crystal Light) and enjoy!

Now as for the pudding....I ate that because I wanted something a little sweet and I had two boxes of sugar free/fat free chocolate fudge instant pudding mix in the pantry and I needed to use up the vat of skim milk that I bought because I swore I was going to drink more skim milk.   (I'm not much of a milk drinker, as it turns out, so any time I can figure out a way to sneak it into something, I'm pretty happy.)

So there you have it.  That's the sum total of the last two months of my life.  I have not stitched or even thought about stitching in so long that it's making my skin itch, but I have promised myself a studio day very very soon to remedy that.

Stewey, as you know, is perfectly fine and is getting PLENTY of evening games of Pumpkin(!) in before the snow flies, and Aunt Chrissy and Bosco are making sure that we behave ourselves and don't do anything too terribly stupid.

What's new with you?

22 comments:

  1. Seriously? Someone did that? What a loser. The dude made bruschetta in a jar (we bought a crapton of tomatoes from the farm) so that we can enjoy tomatoes in the dead of winter, and I think I'm going to add some feta because I recognize a good idea when I see one! Can't wait to see what you unearth in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog and viewing you work, I love hearing about aunt chrissy and stewey................ you make me smile! today is my birthday and I am 54, I live in Mahtomedi Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Coni, I was going to comment on the bruschetta and pudding post of yesterday, but my fingers were covered in melted chocolate from the TON of Reeses I've eaten over the past week, and I didn't want to "choc-la-fy" my keyboard. After reading today's post I know I can't put off the bruschetta any longer so I'm heading into the kitchen for a loaf of bread and tomatoes. OH! The goodness of summer. Eat it while you can.....you can always stitch later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coni,
    It's always a good day when I see you've added a new post! I always get a chuckle and see something of myself in what you've written. I too will be joining the legions of stitches heading to their local farm stand to pick up some tomatoes!
    Best from Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you, Coni. No noticeable stitching here either. I have the serious blahs. That's why I am so looking forward to fall. Maybe the crisp air and beautiful colors will invigorate me enough to get busy! ;) Take care. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty needs to get a life. Who doesn't like the Spinster?
    Hope you have enjoyed your stitchy hiatus. Hope you get back to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Coni. I guess I'm not starting the Atkins Diet today.

    Oh and Betty? Get a life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm....this sounds delicious by the way. Betty needs to stop being stalkery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back in the early '80's, I read that Julia liked to drink Pedroncelli Chenin Blanc while she cooked. I drove 3 hours each way to visit that winery and while they don't make chenin blanc any more, I've continued to drink it over the years and thank Julia each time I do. LOVED that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in a bit of a stitching slump myself, but I am getting a lot of reading done! You introduced me to Laura J. Peron' s designs and I signed up for her upcoming cyber class. This will be my first needlepoint cyber class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A pox upon the nasty little woman who wrote you daily ... what a very small and dreary life she must have had! For my part, I enjoy even drivel when it flows from the pen of a gifted and witty writer like yourself. Back in the 18th century, the diary was raised to an art form. Three centuries later, you are simply carrying on a grand tradition.

    As to the stitching slumps, I have developed a theory about that. I think we are all adjusting to the changing weather cycles that have given us brutal winters and unseasonably wet and overcast and cool summers of late. The lack of bright, sunny and hot days is wreaking havoc with our circadian rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. let me say something to this Betty woman really quickly ('cause we know you're reading, dear) what about getting a reality check with *your* life, sweetie, uh? you might have hidden it to yourself throughout these years, but it must've been pretty sad and pointless if you enjoy this kind of daily teenage-nonsense at your age.
    plus, if The Spinster isn't your cup of tea, just read something else! nobody's keepin' you here, hun!

    now, onto real stuff. bruschetta in Italy is the ABC of summer, I'm glad Julia pointed you in the right direction. I watched that film a few years ago and went on a butter rampage still so vivid in my mind (and on my thighs!).
    get to your stitching as soon as you get your hands washed from all that precious red sugo. big hugs!
    chiara

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've lurked for ages, but it's time to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. My day is instantly cheerier when I check and you've posted a new one. Yours is one of three I read regularly, and is by far the most amusing.
    I love to eat, love to stitch while watching TV, love dogs, and sometimes find myself completely introverted when it comes to dealing with people face-to-face, so we have some things in common. I've found several fun projects to stitch from your blog (Thine is the Trick or Treat is the first to come to mind) and have been intrigued by the needlepoint designs - although for Pete's sake, I do not need something else to embark upon! – so thank you for all of those.
    Stewie is adorable, even though he is a rascal, or perhaps it's because it! I myself have two completely wonderful little chihuahua girls whose antics and company make my life better. I do like Jack Russells, but thought they were too active for my lifestyle. Now I'm thinking maybe not. Anyway, to heck with people like Betty. You've got more fans out there than you've known about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with poster above, I love coming to your blog for a smile and slice of life reading. Please don't change. You had the summer of bruschetta, I was in full canning mode. Never had done it and made jars and jars of lovely jam, sauce, and pickles. It was wonderful. I hope you enjoyed you cooking foray. Life is too short to be Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heh, heh...look out Betty. The Spinster's on a roll!! Glad to hear from you, and glad to know to know all's well in your part of the world. Greetings to the Stewster.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PFFFFFT! Tell Betty to go suck a lemon and try to stitch something as beautiful as some of your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not one to pile on, but, Seriously Betty??? We luvs us some Spinster and Stewey (and bruschetta)...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where are you? Is everything all right? I haven't gotten a post from you since this one.

    Hoping that all is well and that you are just extra busy.
    Joan in VA

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you are doing well. I miss reading your posts :) Don't laugh, but I just did a search on your blog for "white wall of nothingness"! I always admired how your hung your finishes on your long wall. We bought a house recently and I am looking for inspiration to hang my finishes in an arrangement.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog is brilliant! It should be made into a book like "The Diary of Samuel Pepys". I wish I could write and entertain like you do. God bless you, dear lady! x

    ReplyDelete

  22. RR
    āđ‚āļ”āļĒāļ›āļĨāļēāđāļ•่āļĨāļ°āļŠāļ™ิāļ”āļˆāļ°āļĄีāļ­ัāļ•āļĢāļēāļāļēāļĢāļˆ่āļēāļĒāđ€āļ‡ิāļ™āļĢāļēāļ‡āļ§ัāļĨāļ—ี่āđāļ•āļāļ•่āļēāļ‡āļัāļ™āļ‚ึ้āļ™āļ­āļĒู่āļัāļšāđ€āļĨāđ€āļ§āļĨāđāļĨāļ°āļ‚āļ™āļēāļ”āļ‚āļ­āļ‡āļ›āļĨāļē
    āļ‹ึ่āļ‡āļœู้āđ€āļĨ่āļ™āļŠāļēāļĄāļēāļĢāļ–āļĨุ้āļ™āļĢāļēāļ‡āļ§ัāļĨāđ„āļ”้āļ–ึāļ‡ 3 āļĢāļ°āļ”ัāļšāļ”้āļ§āļĒāļัāļ™ āļ—ั้āļ‡āļ™ี้āđ€āļ‡ิāļ™āļĢāļēāļ‡āļ§ัāļĨāđāļˆ็āļāļžāļ­āļ•āļˆāļ°āļ‚ึ้āļ™āļ­āļĒู่āļัāļšāļĒāļ­āļ”āļāļēāļĢāđ€āļ”ิāļĄāļžัāļ™āļĢāļ§āļĄ
    āļœู้āđ€āļĨ่āļ™āļˆāļ°āļĄีāļŠิāļ—āļ˜ิ์āļĨุ้āļ™āļĢัāļšāļĢāļēāļ‡āļ§ัāļĨāđ„āļ”้āļŦāļēāļāļ•āļĢāļ‡āļ•āļēāļĄāļ•āļēāļĄāđ€āļ‡ื่āļ­āļ™āđ„āļ‚āļ‚āļ­āļ‡āđ€āļāļĄ āđāļĨāļ°āļ™ี่āđ€āļ­āļ‡āļ„ืāļ­āļˆุāļ”āđ€āļ”่āļ™āļ—ี่āļ—āļģāđƒāļŦ้āļ•ัāļ§āđ€āļāļĄāļĄีāļ„āļ§āļēāļĄāļ™่āļēāļŠāļ™āđƒāļˆ
    āļŠāļĨ็āļ­āļ•PG
    āļŠāļĨ็āļ­āļ•PG

    ReplyDelete